Attendance & Holidays
Old Leake Primary Academy actively promotes and rewards good attendance, so please make sure your child attends regularly and on time. The school is open from 8.40am each morning so that children can enter before registration at 8.45.am.
Being in school every day is so important and school attendance is a big part of our culture at Old Leake Primary Academy. Time missed from school may affect academic progress and children may find work more difficult when they return.
Contacting the school if your child is absent
- Please ring the school office on 01205 870425. You may also notify us of any absence on the IRIS app, where you can complete an absence form. You must contact the school on every day of absence.
- If school is not notified of an absence, a member of staff from school will phone to find out why your child is absent.
- If no contact is made with the school, please be aware that a home visit may be made by our school staff or Education Welfare Officer.
Over a year lateness leads to a loss of learning:
- 5 minutes late each day = 3 days lost,
- 10 minutes late each day = 6.5 days lost
- 15 minutes late each day = 10 days lost
If your child is prescribed medicine by the doctor then the following rules apply:
- Medicine prescribed 3 times per day WILL NOT be given by staff. Parents can give the prescribed dosage morning, after school and bed time.
- Medicine prescribe 4 times per day WILL be given by a member of the staff but parents will need to complete and sign a form giving permission for this to happen.
For safety reasons, no children should be bringing medicines or tablets to school in their lunch boxes. Generally we would expect a child to have no more than 48 hours off school if they are given medication from the doctor unless absolutely necessary. Any child suffering from sickness/diarrhoea should also be kept off school for 48 hours.
Medical/Dental Appointments – Parents are advised, where possible, to make medical and dental appointments outside of the school day. Where this is not possible, students are expected to attend school before and after their appointment. Parents must show the appointment card/letter to school.
Government regulations introduced in September 2013 state that pupils should not be taken on holiday during term time. The law states that parents do not have an automatic right to take their child out of school for this.
Any absence may now only be authorised in exceptional circumstances. The decision rests with the Headteacher. Please note that in the interest of fairness, there will be no authorised holidays and to avoid personal bias, government legislation will be adhered to at Old Leake Primary Academy.
Should you need to take your child out of school for exceptional circumstances during term time, an appointment will need to be made with the Headteacher and you should contact the school office in the first instance.
Absence could result in a Fixed Penalty Fine being issued under Section 444(B) of the Education Act 1996.